The Schools Game Changer Programme
Taste of Game and the Food Teachers Centre worked together from 2017-2020 to bring food teachers training and resources to help them teach about game in the curriculum.
More than 40,000 pupils across the UK were introduced to game meat since 2018. The project has trained more than 200 teachers across the country and delivered more than 15,000 pheasants to students.
The Schools Game Changer programme included
- Teacher training practical workshops across the country and on-line
- Downloadable teaching resources, recipes, suggested classroom activities and video here
- Student masterclasses led by qualified teachers and ambassadors
- Free supply of local game directly to schools
- On-line training and support – still available
- Game Stars competition and awards
The programme was successful in up-skilling teachers in the preparation of game and with the free supply of game to schools directly thousands of students are now confident in preparing and cooking it. The programme matches the GCSE and vocational course requirements closely, so that teachers developed their student’s knowledge and skills in how to buy, prepare, cook, present and taste game to a high level, ready for their practical exams.
Through the programme, students:
- Understand ‘provenance’ and how game is reared, prepared and cooked
- have tasted game, tried out some recipes and are familiar its taste, value and uses
- take home a positive message about game to the family shopper/cook, including its nutritional benefits and uses in a modern balanced diet.
What teachers said:
” Great to have some hands-on practical experience of game recipes and given resources that are pupil friendly. Thank you so much.”
” Fantastic day all round, learnt so much and very hands on and delivered at just the right pace. Thank you.”
” The Game changer course was great on every level – opportunity to learn new skills, to engage with other teachers, have ideas to take back to school (especially for NEA2), great atmosphere, low cost (especially important in our school. Many thanks “
“Confidence boosting . Learnt useful skills. Totally relevant therefore very helpful”
“it is fantastic that sponsorship has been won to keep the cost of the CPD down”
“I found it really useful and highly value what Food Teachers Centre does, thank you!”
“Fabulous day” “Simon was fantastic! Very helpful and extreme knowledgeable ….”
“Great to meet other teachers and have hands on experiences with game”.
For more information
If you are looking for inspiring recipes from young people cooking with game, you can download the ‘Games Star Winners Recipe Booklet’
Please visit the Taste of Game website Schools Section.
Register – registrations are no longer available for this programme
Training on using game in your classroom
You can still access the On Line training to continue your training here
It is only open to those who are members of the Food Teachers Centre Community
For more information on student masterclasses contact Simon Gray